LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My brother has recently been sentenced crimes, but there

Customer Question

My brother has recently been sentenced for 2 crimes, but there is some confusion as to when he would be released. He received a 2 year and a 1 year sentence (concurrent) after serving 8 months on remand. My brother works out that he has 10 months left to serve but the prison has worked out 14 months left, and his solicitor agrees with this. Meaning that he will serve a total of 22 months out of 36. I have tried to investigate on the internet how it is worked out and can only find my brothers method. Can you please tell us how it is worked out?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
I assume you mean consecutive making a total of 36 months. Your brother will serve 50% of this time in custody and the rest on licence. That makes your calculation correct.
Has the solicitor explained to your brother how he has worked out his time to serve calculation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The solicitor and prison has totalled the sentances to make 36months, then have taken the 8 months remand off leaving 28 months and then halving that leaving 14 months still to be served. Making it a total of 22 months served. What can we do to get this fixed?

But if he has served 8 months on remand then that is the equivalent of a 16 months sentence time.
Your fist step should be for your brother to activate the prison's internal complaints procedure. They deal with these issues at first instance.