LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

How do i go about finding out if my son's can claim money left

How do i go about finding out if my son's can claim money left from there grandfather after he died. They lost touch with him about 20 yers ago. My sons father had no siblings only his two sons. He died before his mother and father. His mother died with no siblings and them his father died with no siblings. So i am thinking if there was no surving family apart from my two sons, there might be some money that is not going anywere and should be my sons.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years exeperience. I will try to answer this for you.
You can do a lost asset search. Yes. When using any of these searches you'll be asked whether the claim is for an account of yours, and if not, the name of the account holder is requested. At the point when the information is passed on to the account/investment provider, it will then contact you to confirm your identity, and work through ensuring the cash gets to the right person.
The process varies from case to case, but providing there was a will and there aren't any huge family rifts over who is entitled to the cash, it should go smoothly. Bigger reclaims are likely to take longer to sort out, but obviously the reward is higher too!
Ensure that a deceased relative's account is actually 'lost' before using the claim routes above. If you know the account details and which bank or provider it is with, then contact them in the first instance to track the account down.
The British Bankers Association has a downloadable leaflet on dealing with deceased relatives' banking affairs.
There are companies who for a fee will search for unclaimed legacies.