LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

We have a neighbouring house wall right on our boundary without

We have a neighbouring house wall right on our boundary without windows and only visible to us and not to the neighbour. The rendered wall was neglected and shabby and the neighbour said they could not afford to paint it. It is a post-War property but they say it is Grade II Listed. I have checked the National Heritage website and it is not Listed and unlikely to be so as it is a modern mock Regency house. Not wishing to continue to look at an eyesore facing our lounge window we went ahead and painted it ourselves at our expense some two months ago. The neighbour originally agreed that we could choose the wall colour and we chose to paint the wall, which was originally white but was green with algae, in a very light inoffensive light green to blend with the planting. Today we have had a letter telling us that we have committed a criminal offence by painting a Listed building without Listed Building Consent and also changing the colour is a criminal offence and if we do not reinstate it to its original colour we will be open to prosecution. .
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.
Who is the letter from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The letter is from our neighbour

Right, and do they say what crime you have committed? I am struggling to think of one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I agree with you, but the question is are we within our rights to repaint an unsightly wall on our boundary when the owner will not. They have repainted the remaining three walls of their house in recent years but not this wall because it is 'out of sight, out of mind'.

Yes, you can.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just one final question, do you think the change of colour is significant?

It is a very pale light green as opposed to the original white, streaked with algae!!

No I do not think it is significant.