Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have had a bad reference given out of blue how can I go about

I have had a bad reference given out of blue how can I go about getting this same reference stopped for future requests from this company?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Is there anything untrue in this reference?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its untrue that they did not know about my medical condition. I made them aware at the interview. Also I had NO meetings with any suppliers and finally, I was promised a fair reference at the point I tendered and they accepted my resignation.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
So what does it say that is bad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Surely, its unfair to mention my medical condition and taht I met with suppliers when I did not thus causing me stress.

And to state in the reference that they would not re-employ me seems unfair as I resigned I did not get sacked!

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hi it is not fair for them to say things that are untrue. If they give an untruthful reference which results in you being unable to obtain new work then you can ultimately bring action against them in negligent misstatement to recover your lost earnings.
I would suggest you write to them to say that the reference that they have sent is untrue and if they send any further untruthful references to future employers you will have no alternative but to bring a claim against them. You could ask them to agree a form of reference to use in the future.
Ultimately, from a practical point of view, it may be best to seek a reference from elsewhere (another employer) if possible. Although I understand it may not be.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.