Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have been contacted by a sheriffs office telling me i owe

Customer Question

I have been contacted by a sheriffs office telling me i owe over £12k to them. The debt that I wasn't aware of was for around £8k but It was completely unknown to me as I had moved. The sheriffs had apparently tried an old address with no luck but did not contact me after this despite their having my phone number and email address which was held by the solicitor acting for the person i owe the money to. I am happy to give the money i owe but i do not see why i should pay an added £4k or so to a sheriff as i had no idea this had happened in the first place. Can you advise if i owe this to teh sheriffs or can just pay teh actual debt please.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. A Sheriff is a court officer who gets a success fee for the recovery of any debts due following a court judgment. H
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
2. A Sheriff has the widest possible powers to recoup nay monies owing, including entering upon your property and selling any assets you may have to discharge any monies owing. Invariably, anyone
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
3. The extra 4k you have to pay here results from the legal costs and court fees associated with getting judgment, the sheriffs success fee and fees associated with collection. You will have to query the basis for the original judgment and re-enter the matter in court to avoid payment of these fees. Otherwise, you will get hit with these fees, as they are an inherent penalty for not paying soon
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
4. Once you let the matter proceed to judgment, you were going to be hit with these fees. The system penalises those who do not seek out their creditor and pay them what is due. Now you risk having your assets seized as the matter has gone too far. The Sheriff wants his pound of flesh and is incentivised by getting a share of what is collected and by being given draconian powers to collect it. So either re-enter the matter in court or leave the country.