31090051

We have inadvertently used a photograph on our we site, we

We have inadvertently used a photograph on our we site, we are wales based. The person who claims to own the copyright to the photograph has told us that we need to pay him 12,500 pounds for breach of copyright. We only used the image for three months and thought that it was ours as we took it as an asset of a previous company whose assets we bought. Upon notificatio , we immediately took the image down and deleted it from our files. We offered to pay a small fee I. Line with what we would normally pay but he has refused and his solicitors are now threatening us with court action in Scotland. We think£12,500 is completely outrageous and we can't afford that amount. Can you offer any advice?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I am a lawyer in Scotland and will help you with this. You are correct that this is outrageous and there isn't a court in the land that would award them £12500. Indeed any breach of copyright was unintentional and was remedied immediately.
Unfortunately some English lawyers see fit to encourage their clients to extort money in this way and I have seen many of the letters issued in cases like this. I have never seen them take it to court. They use a "blunderbuss" approach in the hope that some people will pay up..
Do not do so, the whole set up is likely to be a scam, and if you ignore them they will write to you for a while then they will get fed up and go away.
Happy to discuss.
I hope this helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.