75100385

I was made bankrupt back in 2002 and discharged in 2002 - I

Customer Question

I was made bankrupt back in 2002 and discharged in 2002 - I took a home building and contents insurance policy out in Nov 2014 - one question on the application form was have you ever been made bankrupt ( I read this incorrectly as have you been made bankrupt in the last 5 years) and answered it no.
On July 2nd my house was burgled and I submitted a claim to my insurance comp who have instructed a investigator - investigator has done some back ground searches on me and found that I was declared bankrupt back in 2002 and said that my claim and policy may be null and void because of this.
Is this true and do I really need to disclose bankruptcy info so far back?
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Sadly yes. This is because the question was have you EVER been made bankrupt and not have you been made bankrupt in the last 5 years.
Therefore you need to answer it correctly. So yes they are entitled to ask, as unlike criminal convictions a bankruptcy does not become 'spent' as such. You are discharged and it comes off your credit file after 6 years but will always need to be declared if asked.