12826847

I am renting a flat from foxtons, then i accendently

Customer Question

I am renting a flat from foxtons, then i accendently burnt my kitchen and landlaord had ask me 10 thoundsand pound to cover the damaged, do i need to pay for this? Or the flat should have the insurance ?
It would be better if he had insured the flat of course.
However, even if he has that doesn't mean you are not liable. He cannot be forced to make a claim upon his insurance. He is free to pursue you as the defendant if he chooses.
The only thing you could challenge is the level of the claim. I don't know whether or not it can be done cheaper than £10k. You should certainly ask for other quotes.
Nevertheless though, insurance or not, you are liable I'm afraid.
Sorry if that is bad news.