75100385

My daughter has just bought a new (2nd hand) car and had

Hi, my daughter has just bought a new (2nd hand) car and had a towbar fitted (by a towbar specialist - not the dealer who sold her the car) and went off on holiday with her family in their trailer tent. On holiday the car''s wiring has developed a fault and the brake lights no longer worked. She has been to a Renault dealers to get the car's lights to work again, but the dealer says that if she connects the trailer again to go home, the wiring on the car will fail again making it illegal. The RAC say that because she doesn't have trailer cover they will charge a significant sum to take car + trailer home (Cornwall to Aylesbury). The towbar company have refused to pay for the Renault garage to do more than a "band-aid" job; and anyway the garage says a complete new wiring harness is needed and they haven't one in stock, and it will take " a couple of weeks" to get and fit. The towbar company has said they will send a fittere out to correct it - but not to Cornwall, just to AYlesbury, as Cornwall is outside their area. This has ruined my daughter's holiday - what should she do?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Was it from a dealer or private?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Car was purchased from a dealer (Perry's Aylesbury) - but not a Renault affiliated main dealer (I don't think).

Tow-bar professionally fitted by a specialist tow-bar company (I don't know which).

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
How much does it cost to fix?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not fully aware of all facts as my daughter is in Cornwall and not easy to contact - I think she said Renault dealer down in Cornwall said it needed a whole new wiring harness and I think she said that was £450 but there is also the costs of recovering the trailer tent from Cornwall to Aylesbury to think about and doubtless some other expenses........sorry to be a little vague...........

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.