75100385

Can a client refuse to pay statutory interest on late payments

Can a client refuse to pay statutory interest on late payments by claiming that because we have never charged it before (over 17 year working period) that mean there is a precedent that precludes us charging it now?
We have made very clear on later invoices (which constitute the bulk of the monies owed) that we would be charging it with the following text in red immediately below the total due and next to the payment terms.
"BE AWARE: Due to the costs incurred by late payment, statutory interest at the current rate of 8.5% will automatically be charged on all amounts (inc. VAT) past due."
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
No.
Just because you never charged it before does not mean you are not entitled to it. You just never enforced it.
So no, the client cant refuse to pay just because you never enforced it before.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.