Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I recently agreed to buy a car from a main dealer and signed

I recently agreed to buy a car from a main dealer and signed the order form and paid a deposit. However once I arrived home and overnight I considered the operation of an electric car, I decided I had made a bad decision. I called the garage the following morning and cancelled the order by speaking to the salesman directly. I have since put my decision in writing to the garage. My question is " Is this transaction subject to the 7 day cooling of period". I have not heard from the garage reference my letter which I sent well within the 7 days.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Did you sign the form at the Dealer's premises?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
There is no statutory cooling off period for a car purchase made at the dealers premises.
The situation is different if the sale is made over the phone or away from the dealer's premises.
Whether you have a legal right to cancel the purchase order will therefore depend on the terms of the agreement itself. If you have signed a purchase order it may well have a cooling off period contained in the contract itself.
I would therefore check the purchase order itself for a cooling off period, if there is not one then you need to speak to the dealer. I would hope that they will not be unreasonable given the speed with which you changed your mind.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.