13262538

My cousin committed suicide after owing more than 150,000 pounds

My cousin committed suicide after owing more than 150,000 pounds to banks, credit cards etc. in 2003. A cheque was sent to his estate after his death and I put it into an old savings account he had. This is now worth over 11,000 pounds. Can I legaly use this or will the long arm of the watching banks etc. be ready to pounce. Originaly the legal advice was to leave it alone, but over 10 years have now passed. My daughter could do with this money
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1) Alan Amos committed suicide Jan 29th. 2002 /3. He was only child, wife deceased with no issue. No Will!

2) Next of kin deemed his mother's sister Vera Jessica Peters (83) with mental health problems! Police and creditors therefore turned to me. His cousin, Veras daughter and to the best of my knowledge his only living and closest blood relation.

3) I organised and paid for funeral in February of that year.

4) The huge number of debtors started to write, phone and threaten me.

5) during the course of the next year all credit cards agreed to accept 10%. There were 3 exceptions:

a) Lloyd bank £15,000 + = full payment

b) Alan was ? Underwriter or part owner of a pub and a leather firm both went bankrupt , lost homes, had children, lost livelihood! Both needed thousands to recover.

6) ( Emotional comment - I required tranquillisers and legal advice around this time)

7) I paid for a solicitor...... advice " Do nothing more! Pay no one or you will be liable for all his debts"

8) All personal items and female Jewelry returned by post to his deceased wife's family. Phone call acknowledging receipt.

9) Two cheques arrived : a) Mrs Chomicz ( me) for the exact amount of funeral costs.

B b) Mr Alan Amos £8,000 approx. This was paid into a Santander account (deceased) with me as signature and personal representative.

He WAS A Mason !,,,,,,,, ? Insurance ? Pension I have no idea.

This amount despite the bank trying to put it in their reserve..... remains it was too little to pay any debts without loosing my home.

Real Question as a aging OAP myself now what do I do?

Let the bank reserve it or move it to good causes. I have no wish to go to prison or be liable for debts which are not mine . Thank you

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
It is bad news I am afraid.
This money belongs to the Creditors of the Estate and not to you.
You were also incorrectly advised - provided you paid everyone a proportionate share then you would in no way be liable for the balance of his debts
Please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.