12826847

How robust are screenshots when used as evidence? I have

Customer Question

How robust are screenshots when used as evidence? I have screenshots of somebody using my images on their website. However, due to the fact that I am a web designer and a graphic artist, the defendant has stated that he will claim that I have the necessary
skills to tamper with the images or forge them to make it appear that this was the case. Could the judge accept this to be true? or are screenshots deemed to inadmissable or weak evidence in any case?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Screen shots are prima facie evidence just as much as a text or any other written document.
He may well argue this. He is going to have to raise some evidence that you are able to do that and have done that here. He isn't likely to get away with just throwing that in and having it accepted.
I suppose it is possible that a person could tamper with screen shots and you may well have the skills to do that. Unless he has some evidence that you have done so it is quite unlikely that would defeat your claim. These things are always accepted on their prima facie basis unless the contrary can be shown or at least suggested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm having such a bad time with things like this at the moment. Can you think of a circumstance or possible way that he could have such an accusation accepted by the judge? I just want to consider how he might try and persuade them of this.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I suppose it is possible.
I don't know whether it is possible to tamper with that type of thing? If it is then he could argue that but unless there is some evidence that it is his explanation won't be accepted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it certainly is possible to do it and you don't need specialist equipment or skills to do it. There are examples of how this can be achieved on the internet by changing the content of the webpage (http://www.experts-exchange.com/Security/Digital_Forensics/Q_28457256.html). If he were to present an explanation such as this would it weaken my evidence?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, it just means it isn't incontrovertible. I'm not sure it is fatal really.