UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I m going to apply as a British citizen

I m going to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen .. ILR was in 2007, but I have been unemployed for over 2 yrs from Jan 2011 to mid 2013. But I did not claim any benefits or jobseekers allowance etc .. made it through with the help of savings n friends n family's help.
Does being unemployed for such long period affects my application? Please reply
Also if I may ask, I received ILR on the basis of marriage to a British citizen, we lived together at the same address for 9 yrs but now fir the last 2 yrs we are living separate from each other and I don't even know her address n in the application they ask for the wife's address, can I give her previous known address? Or is it going to cause any complication? I know I can apply for citizenship of my own right but can it still be a complication?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been 3 days - you can take 1 more day.
If not, then the answer is pointless to me, as I m submitting my application on day after tomorrow
If I don't get the answer today, the request will have to be cancelled n money £26 be refunded thereby.
Thankyou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
No one answered - I have been waiting for 3 days!
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
I have just seen your question.
Being employed is not a requirement for British citizenship, so the fact that you have been unemployed does not make any difference.
As an ILR holder, you are entitled to claim public funds so the fact that you claim benefits will not affect your British citizenship application.
You may apply for British citizenship in your own right, the fact that you are no longer with your spouse is not relevant.
All the best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear sir
Thankyou for the reply, however if I may ask a bit more clarity about the answer.
I know that being unemployed is not a problem per se in the application
But I spoke to the home office inquiries line and asked the same question - the gentleman I spoke to stated the same as you that being unemployed does not preclude me from applying for citizenship, BUT if the unemployment is for such a long period, I WILL HAVE TO EXPLAIN AS TO HOW DID I SUPPORT MYSELF, and as I DID NOT claim any benefits at all, I may be asked to provide evidence as to how did I make it through those 2 years! So that has got me concerned. Could you please suggest what possible solution or answer I can give to get around that?
I have been supported by my friends and family around, but I do not have any evidence etc of that as such! What do I do? Or am I worrying prematurely? shall I just go ahead with the application now and wait for them to get back to me? Or is it a good idea to explain before hand in the application?
Please reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
plesse reply my follow up question as I have the appointment with NCS tomorrow!!
You have absolutely no reason to worry, you could have funded your upkeep from savings or family helping you out. As long as you were not engaging in any illegal activity to maintain your lifestyle, you should be fine.
All the best
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience