How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My tenant is due to leave today after a 2 month notice period

Customer Question

my tenant is due to leave today after a 2 month notice period and a section21 notice. She now can't move from 4 additional days. She has been a problem tenant since day one and I'm not confident that she will actually move. I know I now need to start court proceedings, but my question is what can I charge her per day for the extra time she is in the house and can I charge her for costs I incur if any, if I loose the new tenants who would like to move in.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Yes you can charge her occupation rent (but in accordance with the tenancy agreement, so usually 1/30th of the usual monthly rent) for each day she is there.
You can charge her additional costs UNLESS the tenancy agreement allows you do.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean I can charge her additional costs or I can't... your reply isn't clear. I was due to have family members stay at the house this weekend but they now need to stay in a hotel, can I charge this cost to my tenant?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes but ONLY if the agreement allows you to.
Does that help?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.


Related Law Questions