75100385

I recently opened a small business in Ballymena in September

I recently opened a small business in Ballymena in September 2014. At the beginning of 2015 we were informed of a public realm scheme taking place in the town.On the 8th June two rows of barriers were placed for 75m up our street restricting access to our shop and the work of replacing the pavements started.
It is now 31/7 , in total we have workmen on the street about 3 weeks in total and there is no end in sight.Business has been greatly affected leaving myself and other retailers stressed, frustated,and very angry.
Is there anything we can do to be re-imbursed for loss of takings or even to get rates relief.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Have you written and complained to the Council please? IF so, what have they said?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I Have spoke to the council in person and they have said they agree that there is not enough manpower on the job that had originally been discussed ,it is taking too long to be completed with maximum disruption to both retailers and customers

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't set out losses against last years figures as I have only opened .It is a kids clothes shop so I can't base it on weekly takings either, I just know the footfall past the shop is down dramatically as is my takings yet I 'm expected to pay my rates on time on a monthly basis with no progress being made on the situation which is causing the problem to start with.

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - you can write to the Chief Officer of the Council and complain. That office will investigate the matter and report back to you. If you are not satisfied with that response then you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman. They can investigate the complaint, they are independent and free.
Their website is: www.lgo.org.uk
Does that help?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.