29905560

I applied job vacancy i was informed

i applied for a job vacancy for babysitting i was informed that i should have a CRB to which i applied for. the company contacted me to say everything was ok with the CRB and they arranged an induction day for me, this was put back by a week and they were supposed to ring me on Monday 27th to arrange the induction that day. I am trying to contact them but to no avail. Can you advise where i stand legally with this as i signed a contract plus i informed my previous employer that i would only be available for weekend work as this job was Monday - Friday, i also signed a contract
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are they basically refusing to proceed with the job offer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure as i cannot get hold of them when i phone the number no one answers and you have to leave a message. Email there is no response

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are you still there?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Did you sign a contract with them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are you still there ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

could you let me have an answer by 4.15 this afternoon

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello sorry we are full time lawyers in practice so we do have clients in person and may not be able to reply straight away. Anyway going back to your query, your rights will depend on whether you had a formal job offer which you accepted. For example did the employer offer you the jib and you accepted it and then they issued a contract, as if that was the case you would have a binding contract in place.
This would mean they would be expected to honour this, otherwise you could pursue them for breach of contract. The issue is that the compensation you would be able to get from them would only be equal to the contractual notice period you would have been entitled to. That is because they could have employed you and allowed you to start work and then on day one decided they no longer wanted you and could have dismissed you legally. They would have been expected to give you the contractual notice period you were entitled to so the greatest losses you would have suffered had you not been allowed to start with them would be the contractual notice period you would have received.
So you should try all possible means to get in touch with them and remind them that you have a legally binding contract in place which requires them to honour the job offer and allow you to start work there. If the is no communication then you can make it clear that you would pursue them for breach of contract. If it comes to that then you have the right to consider a breach of contract claim and pursue them for the contractual notice you would have been due. If there was no notice stipulated then it would only be a week’s notice as that is the minimum you are entitled to by law. However you cannot force them to take you on or honour the job offer, you can just pursue them for the compensation discussed above.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'