12826847

I am moving houses. As there are many things to do at the end

I am moving houses. As there are many things to do at the end of tenancy (chimney sweep, prof. cleaning, pump septic tank etc.), this will easily add up to some 600 £.
If I have all these jobs done, it means that I am increasing my deposit by this aount. Could I require the landlord / agent to pay these services out of my deposit, if I do not want to come up with additional investments?
Or could I just do none of the jobs, but tell them to use the deposit to pay for this (my understanding is that this is what the deposit is there for), provide receipts, and return the balance to me?
why have you got to do these jobs? Some of them are clearly landlord responsibility.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is stated in the rental contract....

That is completely unreasonable.
Is your deposit in a scheme?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it is. I am not very familiar with your rental legislation, and the contract was made by a letting agent.

Thus which jobs am I not responsible for? Chimney sweep, septic tank, garden (hedge cutting etc.)? Do I have the right to do my own carpet cleaning, or can a professional receipt be required?

From what you have said, they are just plain trying to get you to be responsible for the maintenance of the property which is the landlord's responsibility.
Whatever is in the contract may well yet be struck down if it is considered unfair and expecting you to pay for things like the chimney sweep is completely unreasonable. A tenant is responsible for any damage that they cause. A landlord is responsible for the upkeep of the property.
A professional cleaner is a grey area as it is fair to say that the cleaner would not be required if the tenant had not been living but a chimney sweep and things like a septic tank is completely unreasonable.
You can always refuse to pay and invite him to deduct it from your deposit and then dispute set and make him take this to the adjudication system who would be less than impressed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much, your answer was really helpful. How about garden maintenance like hedge cutting etc.? My job, or the landlord's?

Sabine

That is another grey area.
It is reasonable to expect that a tenant does things like mow the lawn but boundary maintenance is for the landlord.