13262538

I am a joint executor with my sister in the matter of my mother's

Customer Question

I am a joint executor with my sister in the matter of my mother's estate.
I have discovered that my sister had a joint account with my mother which my sister secretly closed a few days after mother's death. After some research I established that all the funds in the account were provided by my mother who was the only one who operated the account until her death.
I maintain that the funds in the account about, £7000, should form part of the estate for distribution between the beneficiaries. At first my sister claimed that she was entitled to the money as it was a joint account. She then claimed that the money was to pay for her daughter's education. There is no evidence to support this claim.
The latter claim seems unlikely as the daughter is 18 and no help was given for her private education. Also there are three other grandchildren for whom no help was offered for education.
In your opinion should the funds in this account be treated as part of the estate ?
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
From what you have said you are correct - these funds should form part of the Estate and your sister needs to account for them
Please ask if you need further details