12826847

I am moving house and disconnecting from BT, as I have not

Customer Question

I am moving house and disconnecting from BT, as I have not been happy with their service, especially TV - I have hardly had reception of even the most basic channels. They are charging me 102 GBP for the rest of the telephone and TV contract which they renewed for 18 months when I upgraded my plan in Sept 2014. Is this legal? (There are additional charges for discontinuing broadband. My total bill comes to 197 pounds -What you'll pay
"You'll need to pay about £197 for stopping your BT services. This includes:
•Charges for ending your contract early - Because you're stopping your service before the end of your contract, you'll need to pay about £102 for the remaining months.
•Charge for stopping your broadband - You'll need to pay about £30 for stopping your broadband. You can find out more about this at bt.com/ceasecharge
•Charge for your equipment - You'll need to pay about £65 for your outstanding equipment charges. You can find out more about this under 'Deferred payment for equipment' at bt.com/legalstuff"
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it legal for BT to charge me for all the remaining months of my contract (6) which they extended unilaterally every time I wished to upgrade my plan So, although I initially signed up with them in July 2014 (for 18 months which is their minimum), any change of plan immediately warranted (according to BT) a new contract with an additional obligation of 18 months contract. Now, on disconnecting, Instead of charging a nominal and logical "withdrawal" or "early discontinuation" penalty, they will continue to charge from for an extra 6 months in which I shall be receiving no service from them. Is this legal?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Does your contract allow you to cancel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The contract is a standard one and of course I have not read it. It just seems a very unfair contract - a small penalty for leaving is logical (I.e. 25-30 pounds), but charging me for 6 months of no service does not seem logical and it cannot cost them that much (or anything at all). If you cannot answer me, then let's leave it, as I am not going to look up the contract and read it - my time is too valuable. Thanks

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, not able to help if you cannot tell me what is in your contract.
Otherwise it would just be a guess and that could be wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not think I have a paper contract

The only information sent to me on setting up the account (I have the email) is the following which is useless in this case

Keeping you informed

About your BT services

If you need any advice or help with a BT service, you'll find it on this website, www.bt.com/help.

You can find set-up guidesfor our services and get answers for common questions.

You can also track orders or report a fault. And our contact uspages tell you the best way to get in touch depending on your problem or query.

About your phone service

If your BT landline develops a fault, our engineer can visit. If the fault is due to your own equipment, you will be charged for the visit, but call-out is free if the fault is with the BT network. Our network ends at the master socket (also called the line box). For simple ways to identify and solve faults without a call-out charge, consult your Phone Book or www.bt.com/fault >

The Phone Book

Every 12 months, we provide a copy of The Phone Book covering your local area . If you haven't received a current copy and would like one, please call Freephone 0800 833 4000800 833 400 FREE, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm.

Textphone users should add the Text Relay prefix 18001 in front of any number quoted in this brochure to enquire about the services described. For more information on the Text Relay visit www.textrelay.org >(opens a new window).

Available in Braille, large print and audio CD. Please call free on 0800 800 1500800 800 150 FREE for your copy.

Area code

Important information for our Aberdeen (01224), Bradford (01274), Brighton (01273), Middlesbrough (01642) and Milton Keynes (01908) customers.

From 1 October 2014 you'll need to dial your area's dialling code when making local calls. This won't affect the price of the call. For more information on this change that Ofcom is making, please visit http://www.ofcom.org.uk/dialthecode > (opens a new window

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, can't help.