Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I have been sent court papers which relate to a road traffic

I have been sent court papers which relate to a road traffic collision in which I admitted responsibility. The accident caused some minor injuries to a small child who was a rear seat passenger. I admitted responsibility at the scene and told my insurance company the same. I assumed that my insurance company took care of the subsequent claim for vehicle damages and any injury claims following. I have just received court papers that outline the third parties solicitors claim for a percentage of the settlement.
I thought that this is what you pay insurance for.
What do I do?
Help
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
It appears that the claimants solicitor and your insurer are in dispute about legal fees. Even though your insurer may have paid the claimant compensation for the accident, the claimants solicitor is also entitled to claim their fees. Unfortunately there is often dispute about the fees claimed and where such a dispute arises a claim has to be issued for the Court to decide the matter. Because you are defendant the procedings have to be issued against you although your insurance company will arrange representation/legal advice and deal with the matter themselves. You should contact your insurer as soon as possisble to confirm that they have received the papers and are dealing with the matter on your behalf.