Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My husband bought some goods company over the telephone using his debit card for £

My husband bought some goods for our company over the telephone using his debit card for £478.80. A few days later another £478.80 was taken from our bank by this company. I keep ringing them and they promise to send a cheque and get it sorted but this has been going on for 2 months, what do we do?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
You need to phone and ask for a copy of the bank's internal complaints procedure.
You should follow that procedure and say that if this is not remedied you will have no alternative but to take the matter further by raising it with the financial services ombudsman.
You will find details of the ombudsman service at www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk
I think that if you raise suggest that you will go to the ombudsman they will take steps to rectify the matter immediately.
If you have any further question please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I am a bit confused, who do I try to get the money back from, the company who took the payment or our bank ?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
I think I may have misunderstood your original question as it seemed like you were stating that it was a bank error.
In the event that the company have taken the money twice I would suggest you raise an issue of an unauthorised debit transaction with the bank if you have not already done so.
They will then investigate this and then MUST refund the amount of the transaction except in certain (limited) circumstances. Please see the following link for further information. https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/financial-services-products/banking/your-rights/unauthorised-payments
Sorry for the confusion and I hope this clarifies the situation for you? If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.