75100385

I'm just about to complete a website. It's taken

....Hi....I'm just about to complete a website. It's taken about 3 years to create and will have cost around £4000.....plus all the intellectual energy....etc etc.
My main concern is of it being copied (in part or I whole)...and consequently....I've been advised to protect it by a copyright notice...I will do this on every page...I'm aware of the basic format....etc.
I've been told that many people...especially the ones who might find my website useful...'hide behind' the claim of ignorance...and would copy stuff...and then say "...Oh we didn't know what copyright meant.
To counter this, and in addition to the copyright notices on every page, I'm thinking of having an additional large copyright image on my Introductory page... I need a form of words which will go with this....and which will leave no ambiguity about the copying issue. I'm thinking about "..nothing on this website can be copied..." Is that acceptable?
I am aware that copying is permitted in certain instances..eg for private study...I'm just trying to anticipate problems...and trying avoid having to sort out time consuming issues in the future....and especially the issue "....oh we didn't know..."
thanks
Dr Laurence B Moscrop
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
You dont need to do that. As long as you put (c) on the bottom and who owns it that is all that is needed.
Ignorance is NO DEFENCE. So even if they dont know, they should. They can't steal images, code or pages.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

...I think you've missed the point...I'm trying to make it OBVIOUS on the Introductory page, BEFORE anyone tries to copy it...so as to deter them...rather than have to follow up things after the event.

So my question is, are the words "...this website is copyright, nothing on it can be copied..." acceptable?

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ah I see.
Yes. You can say Those words are acceptable or ANY form of words you wish to use. Including that you will follow up any infringement to the fullest extent of the law.
Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

.....thanks...that is more helpful....life is just too short to be chasing people for copyright infringement AFTER they've done it...so I want to make an unambiguous statement about not copying BEFORE they do it...but was uncertain about the acceptability of the words I sent to you...

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes they are fine!
If this answers your question might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.