Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My sister died....

My sister died suddenly leaving both her daughter and I as executors of her will. I was not consulted on the role of executor prior to her death, I received a letter from her partner who lives at the same property as my sister's daughter for a copy of the will. I gave him the details of my sister's solicitor of whom he should write to request a copy, also he lives in the same house as my sister daughter who holds the original copy of the will. I feel powerless and do not want to be part of this role of executors business. I would appreciate if you would let me know how best to reply to his letter.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Provided your sister left over £5,000 in assets, the Executors named in the Will are under a duty to obtain Probate, which is evidence to the Bnks etc that they are legally entitled to collect in the assets.

If you do not wish to act as Executor, that is fine, and what you will need to do is to "renounce Probate" which in simple terms means that you want to give up your position as Executor and allow your sister's daughter to do everything herself. There is a simple Form for you to sign renouncing Probate, which your sister's Solicitor can prepare.

Once you have signed the Form, your sister's daughter will then be free to deal with the Estate as the only Executor.

I hope this assists and set sout the legal position.

However, please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I do not wish to proceed with the monthly payment of £38 pounds as this is only a one off. I have inform my bank of this transaction to be only a one off for this one period alone.

That is fine as regards ***** ***** payment.

If I have answered this question for you, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Al

Thank you, ***** ***** was helpful especially at the time when I felt pressurised by my sister's partner. I am now able to complete the form for renouncing probate.

Many Thanks

Orlyn

That's good to hear Orlyn.

If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback for me.

All the Best.

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

very helpful advice and a prompt reply.

Thanks Orlyn.

Please remember to leave formal feedback, when asked.

Al