Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I applied on line sample, only to discover later,

I applied on line for afree sample, only to discover later, that they have charged me £89.95 for each sample. (Eye and face cream). They have since sent me a second package and charged me again. I sopke to my bank and explained and they will try and stop any further amounts being taken from my account, but said I must write to the company and advise them. I parceled up the second delivery without having opened them and enclosed a letter explaining that I am a 77yr old pensioner and had only applied for the free samples intending to give them to one of my grandaughters and that I couldn't afford these payments that they have taken and requesting a refund.
Today I have received the unopened parcel back through the post, it has been marked REFUSED. I just don't know what to do next.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Have they also sent the letter back? Have you signed any agreement with them for ongoing samples?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The letter was enclosed in the parcel, which was sent back unopened as they refused to accept delivery. I presumed they needed my payment details for the postage and packing. I have not verbally or written signed any agreement for ongoing samples.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Ok did they send you an email with their terms and conditions on it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, the free sample invite was on facebook.

Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks.
You need to contact Trading Standards to report this as this is obviously a scam of some sort. They will give you a reference number to use in correspondence with the company. Trading standards is within your local authority so you will need to find out the switch board number of your local authority and contact them there.
You have done the right thing to contact your bank to report the unauthorised transaction, they should sort that aspect of things out for you.
I would suggest that once you have the reference number you write a recorded delivery letter (without the package) to say you have tried to return the package and that you have not agreed to any form of contract with them.
If they attempt to deliver any further packages then refuse to receive them.
Good luck with this.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.