Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My GP failed to send a letter of referral to the hospital that

My GP failed to send a letter of referral to the hospital that I was attending so that the consultant was unable to see me. The appointment was 13th July which I had waited three weeks for. The hospital rearranged the appointment for 4th August but then cancelled as the consultant has gone on holiday and new appointment is now 1st September. My question is do I have any legal redress against the GP in question (I have now moved to another practice) as I am unable to return to work until I recieve keyhole surgery on my knee.
Because of her mistake I could end up going onto half wages and it could seriously disrupt my hard saved for holiday. This has all been going since May of this year.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
If you suffer a financial loss as a result of this, such as half wages, then you will be able to bring a medical negligence claim against the practice and or individual GP to recover your loss.
I would suggest you write to the GP Practice again to tell them to notify their insurer of a potential claim.
You will need to show that it is the negligence, i.e. the failure to send the letter that has caused the loss and that this loss would not have occurred anyway.
If you have household insurance it probably has legal expenses insurance cover, this is worth investigating as they will probably help you with this claim under the policy (if you have one).
Good luck with this.
If you have any further questions please do ask. IF I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.