Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I bought two sofa last year and have to pay the final payment

I bought two sofa last year and have to pay the final payment in October but there has been ongoing problems I paid for thicker leather and at the back of both it is a poorer standard it is thinner. Also the connections for all the recliners are not included which I was promised they would be another small part has split and they have offered to colour it in or cover it with another piece of fabric. The head office is saying there is nothing wrong and as for the miss selling about the connectors that it's the store problem but it's all the same company . Please I would really appreciate some answers and help .
Yours Barbara Trust
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Your rights in regard to the quality of the sofa is against the retailer under the Sale of Goods and Services Act.
I would first suggest that you contact trading standards to raise a complaint about the sofa and the misselling of connectors. Trading Standards is located with in your local authority so you will need to phone the switchboard of the local authority and ask to be put through to Trading Standards. When you get through to them they will give you a reference number to use in correspondence with the retailer.
You can then contact the retailer again and say that you have lodged a complaint with Trading Standards and if they do not put matters right you will have no alterantive but to pursue a claim under the Sale of Goods Act and in breach of contract for the failure to provide connectors. You should give them 2 weeks to come up with an sensible suggestion to resolve the matter. You should also say you will be happy for them to inspect the sofa.
I would imagine that a letter of this nature will concentrate the mind of the retailer.
If it does not then you may have no option but to raise a claim.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.