12826847

Just wondering if iv made a huge mistake, I am renting a flat

Customer Question

Just wondering if iv made a huge mistake, I am renting a flat and paying 695 pcm the kitchen is awful been told a new boiler will be fitted soon, iv had it cleaned carpets cleaned painted but left the kitchen as its too expensive for me. All the people iv employed to help me try make it decent say its over priced and I should seek legal advice, since being ill and the bedroom tax just been from home to home and really at a loss as to know what to do hope someone can advise me thanks.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to know if the rent is overpriced and as the plumber said the boiler needs to be replaced as when you turn the hot tap on you get a wiff of gas and the pipes leak green gunge as its very old can I insist its changed? The flat has two bedrooms and one parking space its in Swanage Dorset and there appear to be much cheaper propeties that are in much better state with good kitchens, feel as I was desperate for a home close to family iv made a huge mistake and thought id ask for some advice thanks Jo

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Whether it is over priced or not is obviously something that I will have no way of knowing. It does not rest upon the condition of the property but the type of properties and the comparable price in the area.
If you are concerned that it may be overpriced then you can always complain to the Rent Assessment Committee although if they decide against you then landlords can sometimes just give notice.
If there are concerns about the disrepair of the property then that gives rise to an entirely separate claim. From the faults you are describing the best option would be to complain to Environmental Health who will just issue an improvement notice to the landlord for the work to be done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well guess I will need to see if the landlady agrees to a new boiler being fitted and if its a no then il call the enviromental heath ... everyone who has seen the flat says its overpriced the value is around £165.000 and the carpet cleaner said it should be around the 565pcm or cheaper as he usually cleans carpets for landlords in the area first time he has had a tenant pay for them to be cleaned and they all need replacing full of carpet moth, he said they saw you coming and felt sorry for me, just feeling upset and missing my old home thanks Jo

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, tenants shouldn't be paying for carpet cleaning unless they have caused damage or mess in some way.
That is nothing to do with the price of the property though. That is just a landlord trying to transfer his obligations to a tenant and the tenant can refuse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bless you that's what the carpet cleaner said I moved in here on the 4th July expecting the place to have been cleaned and painted however the only thing that was changed were the taps as I asked for lever taps as iv arthritis and would not of been able to use the taps that were here, iv also always kept a beautiful home and was shocked and in tears when I saw the place was still the same state and the kitchen being the worst still filthy, so iv paid for it to be cleaned and painted but not the kitchen cannot afford to do what needs doing, the agent is waiting for the landlady to agree to a new boiler and will get back to me within ten days, think I will have to live without using the kitchen for six months and try get a better place but not easy, I should of checked the jobs were done first but came all the way from the Midlands and just trusted it would be better than when I viewed it I did have the kitchen cleaned and the cleaner didn't want to charge me as she could not get it clean and said it needs replacing but the agent said no way will it be replaced but will send a plumber who came and you know the rest, So if the boiler gets changed at least its safe just using my microwave and toaster for now thanks for advising me I should get a visit from Wareham social services once iv been here six weeks maybe they will be able to help thanking you kind regards ***** *****

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you and hope my luck changes just been so ill and feeling robbed of everything iv worked for but trying to stay up and grateful at least iv got a roof over my head even if its not ideal and will let you know what happens with the boiler situation Smile

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
All the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jo the landlady has agreed to a new boiler being fitted and this should be done on Friday the 14th of this month, I just hope that I can find a long term better property in six months time with a landlord that wants a tenant to look after the place as an investment, they do come up just hard to get and she is pleased with the improvements I have made but not spending any more money apart from getting the kitchen painted once the boiler has been fitted as its not worth it for six months. Think I was in shock as usually landlords make the property nice for new tenants but not this one and its not cheap was hoping the improvements would be done but lessons to be learnt and got to stay positive and hope for a better future, thank you Jo have a lovely weekend Julie x

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Glad it worked out.
They usually do in the end.