12826847

The police were informed of child abuse in 1990. The

The police were informed of child sexual abuse in 1990. The family was never questioned but the abuser was forced to resign from his teachers position. Later one of the victims made a complaint but the police said they could not take it further. I want to make a formal complaint about this against the police but not sure how to do this.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
On what basis please?
Obviously we don't have a charge on demand in the UK. What do you say they have done or not done that they should have done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to ask the police why they did not speak to me when a social worker told them about an allegation of child abuse. But action was taken by forcing the abuser to retire from his schoolmasters post. The abuser has now died last year hut I feel very let down by the police. One of the victims made an allegation a few years ago before he died and the police did interview me and two of the victims. They did not take it further as they said the abuser was too demented to be successfully prosecuted. I feel an opportunity was lost in 1990.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Did you yourself make a report to the police?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, one of the victims made the report and then I was approached the police and interviewed. In 1990 I disclosed the abuse to a social worker who reported it to t he police. I was not approached by the police on this occasion. It is this that I am now angry about it.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You can always make a complaint to the IPCC.
However, it would be irresponsible of me to tell you that is a breach of their duty. They would not have had anything to do with the resignation. That would have been down to his employers.
The police have a duty to respond to complaints rather than to go out and seek complaints from people who may not have been willing to support a prosecution. Had you attended yourself and they had refused to take a report then that would have been a ground of complaint. A report from a third party is not the basis of a complaint I'm afraid.
I'm very sorry but I can only give you truthful information.