LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Im going to court next week charged with production of cannabis

Customer Question

Im going to court next week charged with production of cannabis for 4 plants , pleading guilty do i need a solicitor what can i expect
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this fro you.
The sentence for this is likely to be a stiff community order although custody cannot be ruled out.
IN ode to asses sentence you shod follw thi s link. http://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Drug_Offences_Definitive_Guideline_final_web1.pdf
Go to page 17 ad read this section. The relevant table for you is the table on page 20. You will be in category 4 and in either a leading role or a significant role.
As you can see this puts you on the cusp of a prison sentence.
I do not know if you have any previous convictions or what your personal circumstances are but they may be helpful, especially if you have a job.
Also, if you plead guilty the court will treat you more leniently than in these guidelines and and there are only 4 plants where the guidelines are for up to 9 plants. There is also an assumption of quite a generous harvest, that may be rebuttable
Yes you do need a solicitor, it could well make the difference between prison and not prison. The duty solicitor can represent you free of charge at the first hearing but he will have a number of other cases to deal with and will not be able to give you very much time.
The most likely outcome of the first hearing is an adjournment for the probation service to prepare a pre-sentence report.
Hello again, I hope the answer I gave you was helpful. If you need more information please ask. I would also be grateful if you would rate my answer as I will not be paid for the answer if you do not give me a positive rating.
Rating my answer will not close the question and I will continue to answer if needed.