Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified and practising Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
13732703

I purchased a one bed flat in 2000 and was told the only monies

Customer Question

I purchased a one bed flat in 2000 and was told the only monies to be paid to the Freeholder was ground rent of £15.00 annually.
Then in 2004 I received a letter from the Freeholder agent stating that it's in the Lease for each property and that I should insure the property under the freeholders agency.
I was advised by the managing agent to cancel my existing Building Insurance policy and obtain cover with the freeholders agency.
This year I have challenge the high premium of £478.99 plus Admin fee of £19.99 making a total of £498.98 for my one bed flat.
I have recently found out that my neighbour who has exactly the same Lease as myself and managed by the same freeholders agency has been allowed to have his own private building insurance. I have since taken out my own private building insurance and submitted evidence to the freeholders agent which they have not accepted and has since sent me a letter of Legal Notification. Can you help with this matter?
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 2 years ago.
HI I will try and help
SO the lease indicates that you have to insure, rather than the Freeholder, and you just need to submit evidence of the premium paid?
Can you reply to the above so I can help further?