75100385

Re a garden/decking job. Total quote £2500. Paid £1600 up front

Re a garden/decking job. Total quote £2500. Paid £1600 up front to cover materials. Asked for receipts. Eventually received but there was a deficit of £355.99. When questioned about this the tradsman sid it was to cover his business running, parking, van, tools, insurance etc and that surely running my own business I should understand! I did not. I therefore withheld this money and payed £538.50 balance owing.
He is now asking for the the deficit to be paid. Am I within my rights not to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What does Materials cover and what does labour cover? If there were going to be extra running charges involved shouldn't I have been made aware?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Is the £355.99 part of the quote for £2,500?
If he quoted £2500 for parts and labour and you accepted this, then you do have to pay him the full amount. The fact is you accepted his quote, the thing he did wrong was to tell you that he need £1600 up front for materials.
Did you ask for a break down of the quote?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The quote was borken down into £1600 materials and £900 labour. I was asked to pay materials up front. At no time was it explined that 'materials' covered anything other than materials required for the job. Total receipts received for materials was £1,238.51. Therefore I deducted the blance off the £900 labour charge. So now a deicit on whole job of £361.50
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Yes I see what you mean. Therefore you can withhold this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to be clear...If there are running costs that he had to incorporate surely this should be included in Labour not materials?
The quote is the quote. It can not be deviated from otherwise it's an estimate.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience