Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I purchased a mixed uses property in March of this year. The

I purchased a mixed uses property in March of this year. The building was split into a flat on two floor and a shop on the ground floor. My solicitor presented me with a final completion statement witch we paid in full and the transaction was complete.
Now 5 months later the solicitor said he had charged the incorrect stamp duty and request a further payment of, £4,900-00.
Seeing i paid the full amount on the final solicitor statement am i duty bound to pay this amount as it was the solicitors mistake.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
I am afraid yes you have to pay the full stamp duty land tax owing. However you look at it, it is your responsibility to pay the tax man what you owe. The solicitor's mistake is unfortunate but you still would have owed the tax anyway. It may be worth asking the tax man if you can pay in installments.
What you should not have to pay is any fines, or interest that have resulted from this. These have arisen from the solicitor's error and the solicitor should pay these for you.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ