75100385

I am writing a book that is mostly reference material

Customer Question

Hello, I am writing a book that is mostly reference material based on British music and plan to sell this. I would like to include some factoids from Wikipedia and would like to understand a couple of things:
1. Can I include Wikipedia content for commercial purposes ?
2. If yes, how does the referenced content need to be cited in my book ? Can I reference the Wikipedia page / URL that contains the piece of information or do I need to list the source that is shown in the Wikipedia list of references ?
Nick
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
How much are you using? Ie do you just use a few words, lines or is it complete paragraphs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Alex, for each year I am just sentences that act as short 'factoids' of a specific events that took place. For a particular year there may be 20 individual factoids used for example. I would be happy to have a conversation but I don't want to commit another £35 for the privilege on top of the £38 already paid.

Nick

Sure.
If you are just using short sentences then you can use it and then credit them. Reference the page and out a credit saying it's from Wiki.
That will be ok. I would also just email them and seek permission as well, so that there is no misunderstanding.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK thanks I'll do that. Now given that the book with then contain original material that I should copyright as well as the Wiki material that is covered under a Creative Commons Licence, how should I reflect that in the book ?

Nick

If you are referencing a reference then you need to credit the original source. If it's not referenced then you just credit Wiki
Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well I guess I'm still going round in a bit of a loop really so I'm not clear.

1. Previously you suggested that I just reference the Wiki page with the content that I use but above you say that I need to reference the original source if that is what Wiki shows ??

2. You suggest that I contact Wiki regarding the re-use permission and their page takes me back to the Creative Commons 'fair use' licence - whatever that is ??

3. I mentioned that my book will have original content that I produce and needs to be copyrighted as well as Wiki material that is covered by a Creative Commons licence so my question was how would I accommodate both licencing requirements in my book ?

I'm sorry but these things are never as straightforward as they appear.

Nick

If the part you want to mention is not referenced on Wiki then you only reference Wiki.
If the part you want to mention is referenced on Wiki you reference the original source.
Original content can be copyright just by putting (c) on it, your name and the year.
Does that help?

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.