29905560

A subcontractor has had an accident and I'm not insured what

A subcontractor has had an accident and I'm not insured what can I do
He has damaged his finger quite badly
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Who was at fault for the accident?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked him to fix a the stone units and at his on discretion did not and pointed up/ worked below it !I'm my opinion he pulled the stone off the wall by accedant when standing up, I fitted 63 stones all still on the wall just one fell of where he was working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been a director for 6 years with no issues
Do I close my company and re start a new one
I have no assets in the company
Personal: I have no car or house
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
To be honest there is not much for you to be concerned about here. Legally you do not need insurance for subcontractors, at least not insurance to cover them. You may need public liability insurance to cover yourself for any injuries or damage they may cause to others, but not insurance to actually cover the subcontractor themselves.
In the absence of insurance the subcontractor could still consider suing you for personal injury or negligence. However, they would need to show that it was your negligence which cause them the injury they are claiming for. Let’s say you had left tools or materials in a dangerous place and they got injured as a result, they could have a claim. But if they were doing the work under their own accord and it was their actions which caused the accident then you cannot really be held accountable so it would be their fault. Remember, to be successful they must prove that it was your negligence which caused the injury in question to be suffered and in the circumstances that may be difficult.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you mean he could sue me personally or did you mean they could sue the company
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
It would be the company unless he can show that it was your personal negligence which had caused the accident. But in the circumstances it would likely be the company. So no need to jump ahead and close it at this stage - you need to see where he takes this first and even if he sued the company he would still need to prove that it was your negligence (or the company's) which had caused the accident, which does not appear to be the case here. Hope this clarifies?