29905560

My wife owns our home and business. A person is going to sue

My wife owns our home and business. A person is going to sue me. Can he claim from my wife.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is the claim for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A family member invested in something that I had been investing in. The investment hasn't worked out but we are receiving money back in small amounts over a period of time. He is intending to sue me. My wife owns outright the home I live in and two businesses. He claims that she would be liable even though she had nothing to do with the investment. The house and businesses have belonged my wife for many years before this investment situation came about.
It is highly unlikely that this person can claim anything that belongs to your wife. The claim is personally against you, therefore you will only be responsible for any compensation yourself. This would include your personal assets, not the ones of your wife. If the house and business are owed by her and you have no official ownership in those then this person cannot include them in any claim. So if she had nothing to do with the investment she cannot be included in the claim and as such her assets cannot be included in it. Had you owned anything jointly then yes, this could have been an issue, but if she is the outright owner then it would not be possible for this person to touch them by making this claim against you. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you