Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I am an executor, along with my two sisters, to my mother's

Customer Question

I am an executor, along with my two sisters, to my mother's will. The chief beneficiary is her husband (my stepfather). In order to deal with probate my stepfather appointed a company to deal with this called Chorus Law. This company was recommended to him by the office who dealt with the registration of my mother's death. Now, although both myself and my elder sister are not opposed to using this company, my younger sister is. I must add that she has alienated herself from the rest of the family for the past year for reasons known only to herself and has had no contact with her mother who was hospitalised and then lay dying in a nursing home. My question is are we within our legal rights to press ahead with the use of this company, having 2 out of the 3 executors willing, or can my younger sister put a block on this with a view to changing the company who deals with probate?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid you will need the co-operation of your younger sister, before instructing Chorus Law to act. This is because all Executors have to act jointly, and Chorus Law will not be able to progress anything until they have instructions from all 3 of you.

If your younger sister is in agreement, she can "renounce" her position as Executor, meaning that she does not act as Executor, and this would then free up you and your other sister to act as the only Executors.

I am afraid there is no legal quick fix if your younger sister decides to delay matters/make up her decision concerning her Executorship and is really more a family issue that you all need to try and resolve.

Sorry I can't give you any more positive news than this.

KInd Regards

Al

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Al,

Thank you for your advice. It wasn't was I was hoping for, but in my experience things rarely pan out how you would like. I now have the rather unpleasant task, along with my elder sister, of submitting to my younger sister's will in this matter. It sticks in my craw a great deal.

Paul Stanton

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your positive feedback.

Good luck, and hope it goes well for you.

Kind Regards

Al