75100385

We had, on hire, a cement mixer which was stolen from our property

We had, on hire, a cement mixer which was stolen from our property last week.
We did not sign a hire contract and we were not aware that it was our responsibility to insure it. We assumed it would be insured by the hire/building company.
We now have to buy a replacement at a cost of £315.00 plus VAT - our insurance obviously does not cover this.
Have we any redress on this please.
John Welsby
Hello John my name is ***** ***** I will help you,
Did the hire company ever say they were insuring it please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No the hire company did not say that they were insuring it - we were not informed that it was our responsibility to insure it nor did we sign a hire contract.

It's and news then I am afraid, even if the court does not accept there is a contract and in my view there is because even though there is nothing signed, you took the mixer and paid, you are loaning the equipment. It is your responsibility as the person borrowing to make sure it is safe.
In the absence of anything then you are liable. Imagine if you lent someone your laptop and they left it on a train, you would want a replacement.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

I am just following up to see if there is anything else I can help with?

If you have not done so already might I ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.

If you need more help please click reply.