Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I've no mortgages at all and lodged the deeds securely for

Customer Question

I've no mortgages at all and lodged the deeds securely for 1) my limited company retail outlet and 2) my own house/small holding and 3) my mothers house. Because I've had an offer on my shop, I intend to sell and applied to Barclays Bank to retrieve them to find they have LOST all of deeds to all 3 properties. What's the next course of action?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Do you know if your Deeds are registered at the Land Registry?

(If you do not know, I can find out for you if you are happy to provide the addresses).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The retail outlet is but not the houses. Seemingly, Barclays moved their property and had supposed to inform clients but we certainly never received warning. I know it should be easy to get a copy from the land registry but I'm concerned about the two properties and how to acquire new deeds?

Thanks fo ryour reply.

If the 2 sets of house Deeds ar enot registered, you would need to apply to the Land Registration for "first registration, based on lost deeds".

On making the application, you will need to provide as much evidence as you can that you/your Mother own the respective properties. Ideally, this would comprise copies of any Deeds you may be holding/Solicitors letters from the time you purchased/current and past Council tax invoices,a sevidence that you are residing at the property. Barclays should also provide to you a letter or certificate confirming that they were in receipt of the Deeds, but these have been subsequently lost.

The Land Registry are pretty decent when considering such applications, and you should not have any problem in registering both properties.

I set out below a link to the Land Registry website, for further information on the application-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/first-registration-of-title-where-deeds-have-been-lost-or-destroyed

There will be a fee payable to the Land Registry for the application, and at the very least, Barclays should be offering to pay for this, as well as for your Solicitors fees in making the application. (A Solicitor is likely to charge you approx £400 plus VAT for each application).

I hope this assists, but please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards

Al

Hi Marina,

Can I assist you any further?

If not, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards

Al