29905560

My partner went to work today after our two week holiday.

Hi my partner went to work today after our two week holiday. He was called into his team leaders office and told he was on suspension with immediate effect. He was told it was for the following reasons; making unacceptable and disrespectful comments about management at his place of work and making statements and taking actions which could bring The companies name intro disrespect. When he asked what the unacceptable and disrespectful comments were he was told that his team leader did not know. He has been invited to a meeting which he can bring witnesses too but we do not know what the allegations are. My partner has been unhappy at work and has spoken to his managers about various problems and issues none of which have been resolved. What should we do to progress further?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long has he worked there for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has worked at the place of work for seven years but with this management compNy for two years.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your patience. Being placed on suspension is not an automatic assumption of guilt and does not amount to disciplinary action. It is there to be used as a precautionary measure whilst an employer investigates any allegations against the employee. Reasons for suspending could be in the case of gross misconduct, breakdown of relationship, risk to an employer's property, their clients or other employees, to preserve evidence or ensure it is not tampered with, avoid potential witnesses being pressured or intimidated, etc.
During the period of suspension the employer should conduct a reasonable investigation into the allegations against the employee. If the investigation gathers enough evidence to justify the taking disciplinary action that could be the next step. In that case the employee has the right to be informed in advance of the allegations against them and be given the opportunity to prepare for the hearing.
On the other hand, if the investigation does not find enough evidence to justify a disciplinary, the employer should terminate the suspension immediately and allow the employee to return to work as normal.
So at this stage it really depends on what the next meeting is. If it is an investigatory hearing he should just attend and answer any questions they have. If it is a disciplinary then he should be given details of the allegations first and be allowed to defend himself and answer the allegations.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'