12826847

I made a complaint to a company about why they took money given

Customer Question

I made a complaint to a company about why they took money given by customers as tips to staff and decided, without asking the customers, to give that money to a charity. I thought it was wrong, and that customers should have been told that up front. The company then decided to investigate me as a customer, to try and find out how I knew about this and what relationship I had with anyone in their company This included accessing my partner's next of kin details to find out if I was listed there, and what my relationship was with him. I believe this is a breach of the data protection act, as well as an invasion of my privacy. The manager also then spoke to people in other branches about me and my partner in a disparaging and insulting way. I have complained in writing to the company but they claim there was no breach of the act and they have acted appropriately.
If you are asking whether they are right then I'm afraid they are although they have behaved badly.
Clearly this is childish behaviour and if they had a business to speak of they wouldn't have time.
However, they are perfectly free to hold an adverse opinion of you even if they are wrong and to tell anybody they like about it.
They are not bound by RIPA or PACE so can conduct investigations into you as they wish unless they actually do things like start to try to arrest you! If it is just that they made some enquiries into your circumstances then anybody can do that.
That is not to say that you cannot complain and ask for an apology but they cannot be forced to apologise I'm afraid.
I'm very sorry but that is your position.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's helpful - thank you.

Gerry

No problem and all the best.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.