29905560

Good morning, I booked a hotel in Turkey with Expedia online.

Good morning,
I booked a hotel in Turkey with Expedia online. When I got to the hotel I found out that Expedia never confirmed my booking with the hotel. Basically I was put on the street.
Can I recover the extra cost of phone call, travel expenses to a new hotel and the self arranged hotel cost?
Many thanks,
Laszlo Mulato
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to hear about this. Have you contacted Expedia about the non confirmation and did Expedia take payment for the booking from you? Did Expedia confirm the booking with you? What is Expedia saying?
Good morning, the starting point is whether you had received confirmation of your booking from Expedia. So if you had made the booking from them, they confirmed the booking was done and guaranteed and you travelled based on that confirmation and on the assumption you had a confirmed hotel boking, you could potentially take the matter further. What you would be arguing in the circumstances is that they have acted in breach of contract because they have not fulfilled their part of the agreement, that being confirming their booking with the hotel. So if you have been the victim of a breach of contract you could consider pursuing the defaulting party for compensation which would have placed you in the same position had the breach not occurred. This means you could consider making a claim for extra costs such as the calls you made to make the new booking and any additional travel costs which you would have had to pay to get to the new hotel. You could also claim for the difference in price between the existing hotel and the new one. However you need to be careful as you cannot just claim every extra cost – for example you would have had to pay for travel to the original hotel, if the travel to the new hotel was more or less the same then you cannot claim anything for that. Similarly you would have had to pay for the original hotel so you cannot claim the whole cost of the new hotel – it would only be the difference between what you would have paid and what you had now had to pay. Also you need to ensure the new hotel was of a similar standard to the original one – you can’t have originally booked a 3 star hotel then gone and stayed in a 5 star hotel instead and expect to claim the difference in price – they need to be comparable.
So you could ask Expedia to cover these costs. If they refuse then the only way would be to take them to court but considering the value of the claim is going to be quite low, that may not actually be worth it as you would be spending a lot more on main g and pursuing the claim so think carefully before you proceed.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'