12826847

I received a hire car on the 21/04/2015 to 29/04/2015 paid

Customer Question

I received a hire car on the 21/04/2015 to 29/04/2015 paid by insurance company,
when collecting the car check it out and drove of, after 3 months I got a bill for damage for £398.48
How do I stand, they never contact me within the 3 months and want paying
Derek
Was there damage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don`t know, my wife was there at the time of collection, the driver said there was a some marks, my replied there was marks already there. Nothing else was said.

Ok
But did you cause any damage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not to our knowledge

Did you see any damage when you collected?
Was there any when you returned?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes there was many scratches all over the car, which they marked down on a sheet. But the original question was do they have the right to notice us 3 months later with a bill

Oh yes, they have six years to bring this claim as it is basically a breach of contract.
The fact of delay might suggest that the notice has only been recent which might imply that other people could be responsible but you seem to accept that there was some damage at least.
Whether they will sue or not is another matter as it is probably not a sum were litigating over but if they do then I'm afraid the fact that they didn't act the three months is not a bar.