12826847

Can the police keep knocking on your door without a warrant?

Can the police keep knocking on your door without a warrant? The have been 7 times now and never have a warrant. When does it become harassment? Even with a warrant they could not come that many times right? Abuse of police powers comes to mind?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is not much more to explain. They are investigating something, we don't know what. They keep asking for my son, he does not live here. They are giving me anxiety and i get high blood pressure every time they come around. I have told them i will be suing them if they continue to harass me without a warrant. Yet they keep turning up ringing the door bell several times in the middle of the night and asking the same questions with me giving the same answers. It is pure harassment, i feel like i am living back in Columbia where police do what they want when they want.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PS: thats 7 times within one month

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It depends on the circumstances really.
However, in principle, there is no reason they cannot keep returning if he has connections to that address. I realise he doesn't live there but they may not accept that as sometimes people do lie to the police.
In terms of harassment, I know the police are enthusiastic sometimes in the use of their powers but that doesn't get over the hurdle of harassment. Harassment would arise if they had no reason at all to act in this way and that isn't really right here.
The reason they are attending in the middle of the night is that it is the time with the best chance of finding a person unlawfully at large at home.
You can make a complaint but unless you have provided them with information over where he can be found they are reasonable entitled to keep trying an address to which he has links.
I'm very sorry but that is your position.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes but even without having a warrant they can keep attending? And if we ask them "do they have a warrant" they reply saying "no". Must they be truthful in answering that question, when asked?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They don't need a warrant.
They have stand alone powers under pace.
They may have a warrant for his arrest anyway but even if they havent they can rely on pace.