UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I'm an online retailer and among other stuff I sell

Customer Question

I'm an online retailer and among other stuff I sell bedspreads, table runners/cloths window curtains and net curtains.
I recently has some trouble with garden furniture cushions which require special testing that I wasn't aware of and I want to avoid this kind of situation in the future.
Could You please tell me if the products I've mentioned above require any special testing, certification or labeling according to British law?
Thank You for Your help.
Kris
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
All of these types of products have to comply with UK fire regulations and as a retailer you have to know what these are, as you can't import foreign goods for sale in the UK that don't comply.
You may not need to have products specially tested but they do have to comply and you should not use suppliers that don't comply with the regulations we have in the UK.
This brochure will help you:
http://www.fira.co.uk/document/fira-flammability-guide-october-2011pdf.pdf
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid my colleague is incorrect.
Bedspreads, curtains etc. do not need to to comply with the Fire Safety Regulations but you need to ensure compliance with The General Product Safety Regulations 2005 which specifically provide that a distributor such as yourself must ensure that products are safe.
See here for more details about the above Regulations
www.norfolk.gov.uk/view/ncc048403
Hope this helps