12826847

My home was raided by police, all my computers and technology taken . They

Hi my home was raided by police, all my computers and technology taken for analysis. They had suspicions that I had illegal images of children. After their investigations they didn't find any. I am an anxious person by nature and I am also suffering with cancer. My computers and such have been returned. Could I assume that their investigations are over? I am a nervous wreck. I have visited adult sites but have no sexual interest in children. I have children of my own, who I adore. My illness means that I have regular chemotherapy. I don't know what to do.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure how the police received their information, there was nothing found on any of my computers. Would their search conclude their investigations, I'm left very anxious. its been almost two months and I haven't heard anything more from them.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I understand.
What is your question about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At what point can I feel free of these ghastly allegations? Does the fact that my computers had nothing illegal on them clear me? Or should I wait for any further action?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, it is never really a clear cut question.
You will have seen in the press recently that there are people who have been the subject of investigation for years. There have been rumblings about how unfair that is and talk of preventative steps but I wouldn't hold you breath. In fairness, if they had any idea of how much time was spent investigating any one person they may have a different view. People may be on bail forever and a day but not much is usually being done to advance the case against them because the police are undermanned and also usually know that most of these allegations are a load of nonsense.
If the computers were seized and have been returned then you can fairly safely presume there was nothing on them. Therefore as far as that allegation goes there is nothing to worry about.
There is always the chance that somebody else may come forward. That is the danger of printing the names of suspects. It attracts the band wagon hitchers.
If you are on police bail though then you will need to answer bail. If you were there as a volunteer then the disadvantage is that you have reduced finality about the matter as there isn't a clear bail date. I presume you did use a solicitor though to give an interview who probably could ask the police about the state of their investigation.
Truth is, it is quite unlikely anything else will happen. What has probably happened is that somebody you have upset has made an anonymous tip off to the police for malicious purposes. Anonymous hotlines do encourage false reporting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attended a police interview on my own, no legal advice present! They found nothing on the technology, and I wasn't charged with anything. I am unfortunately very anxious in general and because of the cancer I'm very ill. The awful allegations upset me because of my good wholesome relationship with my own children. The no smoke without fire accusations if it ever became public knowledge and the damage it would do to my children. I have very little else. Many thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is a horrible allegation that doesn't really matter whether convicted or not from the point of view of damage to reputation. That is why suspects should be anonymous and accusers should be named if there is no charge.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice