12826847

My 16 year old sons been asked to attend the police station

Customer Question

My 16 year old sons been asked to attend the police station tomorrow at 4pm in relation to an arson attack on a small hay barn. Nobody was injured and no equipment was destroyed. There were five boys with him and they all, apart from the boy that started the fire and my son have given their statements. Is it advisable to take legal representation with us and would we be able to get someone at such short notice? If we did not take somebody would the police provide a solicitor?
Yes, it is advisable and this isn't short notice. All criminal firms keep a 24 hour number because people do get arrested outside of the hours of 9-5. On a Sunday afternoon people will not mind being phoned.
The alternative is to request a duty solicitor in the afternoon when he attends. They are just as good. The disadvantage is that he will have to wait for them to arrive and it might mean they put him in a cell while that happens although probably they would not since he is attending voluntarily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The lad that committed the offense has suggested that if the other boys "grass" on him then there will be repercussions for them. Should my son mention this when interviewed? He is worried.

Also, once his interview is over what will be the next stage in the proceedings?

Yes, he probably should. It depends what his solicitor says. If there is no evidence against him then he should probably be answering no comment to all questions.
Just because somebody else did the act complained of though doesn't mean he cannot be charged. That is where joint enterprise comes into play and it is never more the case then with juvenilles.
They will probably bail it off for CPS advice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. Do you know if we would be entitled to legal aid if we were to take representation?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Finally, he has no previous convictions, could you outline for us the worse possible outcome.

Yes, legal aid would cover the police station.
I imagine they will offer a caution but you don't want to accept that unless there is enough evidence to convict at court.