31090051

My name is***** am registered blind, on the 5th

My name is***** am registered blind, on the 5th May I bought a car from Lee's Garage at Galashiels in the Scottish Borders, my son, and I picked the car up from the garage on the 12 May with a full years guarantee any parts fixed if I had a problem
On the 3rd June the car would not start, Lee's Garage picked the car up on the 5 th we got the car back on the 6th saying that they had to disconnect a tracker device for it to start again, when my friend, and I left with the car we found out the car would not lock so e had to return the car within 10 minutes of driving the car away, returning back on the 10th June to pick it up again, on the 20th June it went into limp mode on the way back from Edinburgh, the car was then booked in back at the garage for the 1st July, I heard very little from the garage until the 27th July informing me that they were bringing the car back to my home town of Jedburgh, but on the way it went into limp mode again, and the driver from the garage had to take it back, my son then picked the car up on the 31st July assuring us that it was fixed this time, but with no explanation about what was causing the problem. Then on our way back on Sat 8th August the car went into limp mode again causing the car to cut out completely we were stuck opon a dangerous bend, and had to wait on someone to tow us back into Jedburgh. The car was bought to make my life a little easier, but all I feel is stressed, I have had enough, I would just like my money back but I don't know where I stand ,as you will be aware I can't sleep, it is now affecting my health, I am dreading calling them in a few hours time. legally where do I stand, am I entitled to a full refund, Many Thanks Shona Ramsay
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a lawyer in Scotland and will help you with this.
Because the car was bought from a dealer, the Sale of Goods Act applies to the contract of sale. The car has to be of satisfactory quality at the time of purchase. Because of all the problems you have been having it can be assumed that the car was not of satisfactory quality at the time of purchase which means you have the remedies set out in the legislation.
You can agree for them to fix the car or you can reject the car and claim damages being the purchase price of the car and monies for inconvenience and distress.
With a car you have the same remedies as if you bought a faulty item from a shop. Unfortunately, car dealers don't like to admit that is the case because of the fact that a car is a high value item and they stand to make a huge loss by having to take the car back but that is the legal position and you can reject the car given their past failures to fix it.
I hope that helps. Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.