ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

Im hoping that you can help me resolve a difficult dispute

Im hoping that you can help me resolve a difficult dispute I am having with my ex partner regarding maintenance payments over the summer and after my son (grades permmitting ) goes to university. Since separating (6 years ago), we have managed to come to a mutual arrangement whereby our son- as he lives during the week term time at his mother's and weekends with me, I pay £350 a month. However during his A levels he lived with me full time and up until recently, I paid the same amount to her despite him living with me. During the summer break, he has been choosing to stay at his girlfriend's, friend's and at my house; very rarely at his mother's, so I decided not to pay her last month and all hell broke loose! She says giving him the money to make contributions to the families where he actually is staying is "ridiculous" and after taking legal advise she is eligible to claim for him until he is 21.
I am wanting to provide for my son- nothing has changed on that score, but I am sick of her threats and see it as just a way of extoring money out of me that will not be of benefit to our son at all. Where do I stand on this and if he does get the required grades for Uni, surley I can support my son directly without needing to make any contributions to her? Are her threats merely that or will I be getting a letter from a solicitor instructing me to continue making payments to her irrespective of where he is choosing to stay? Stuart.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Nicola

I am sorry for the delay in replying. I clicked for a text notification but nothing came through. I would have thought that this is quite a common kind of enquiry so am disappointed that you cannot find a professional to answer. Would you be prepared to try for a bit longer?

I am assuming, without checking my account that I have not been charged to date?

Stuart

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. JustAnswer takes a question deposit which is fully refundable on request if you are not satisfied in any way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think we need to get some advise more quickly. I will give you a deadline of Friday 21st Aug to see if you can find a professional or I will have to cancel the request.

Stuart

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am solicitor and can and help you.
I note that your son had finished his A levels and is hopefully going to be starting University shortly. I note more recently your son has been residing with you and not his mother. I note that you have previously been paying maintenance under a family based agreement of £350 per month and that there was no court order or child maintenance calculation.
Under UK law Child Maintenance is payable under your son turns 20 or enters advanced education. A university equivalent course would be classed as advanced education. If your son starts University then you will no longer be liable to pay Child Maintenance from the September that he starts. The mother would also no longer be able to claim child benefit from then.
You could choose to support you son directly if he starts university but you are not obligated to.
Kind Regards
Caroline.
I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. I am new to this service and positive feedback is gratefully received.
I would be grateful for positive feedback
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery