ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I am about to get engaged ( or at least hope I am) but the awkward

Customer Question

Hi, I am about to get engaged ( or at least hope I am) but the awkward situation is i need to ask for a prenup but do not want to do it in a way that implies i do not trust the girl. However in my financial posission iwould not be prepaired to marry without one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi am a british male resident and domiciled in England. I am about to )hopefully) get engaged but am unhappy to do so without a prenup, this is to protect family assets and inheritances, as well as existing earnings. Neither my girlfriend or I have been married before and have no dependant children. I do not want to sound mean spirited and seem to doubt her genuine love for me but the divorce statistics are alarming and I feel its crazy to get married without one. What is a nice way of broaching the subject without comeing out with the above? With thanks
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
I am a Solicitor and am able to help.
Pre-nuptual agreements are not currently binding under English Law.
That being said, they are being taken into consideration and some Judges will follow the terms on a Pre-Nup if some important steps were taken before the Pre-Nup was signed.
To give yourself a better chance of a Judge approving a pre-nup you need to be honest with your future wife - provide full disclosure as to all of your assets. You should also look to paying for your future wife to have independent legal advice when the pre-nup is drawn up and before she signs it. This will be a Solicitor telling her what it is that she is signing and what it means. This should only take a Solicitor an hour or so, so it shouldn't be too expensive.
This isnt fool proof but would certainly go along way.
Things may of course change if you were to have children and then separate but in those circumstances you might well want to provide a settlement to keep any children in a better lifestyle.
I do wish you all the best with the planned engagement!
Kind Regards
Caroline
I am new to this service and therefore would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer. Positive feedback is gratefully received.
Dont hesitate to come back to me with your future law questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the advice but was hoping for a delicate way of bringing the subject of pre nups up with my girlfriend without creating the wrong impression. As this is your field do you have any suggestions about the wording of the request I would be most thankful
Thank you for your response.
Sensitively but honestly is probably best.
Caroline
I would kindly be grateful if you could rate my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not pass the buck and say its a formality for the trustees to keep them advancing money, and put generous provisions in the prenup?
'Passing the Buck' wouldn't be honest - so I don't think she would be too happy of she found out the truth later.
Whilst I am not a relationship specialist - it is clear from your suggestion of including generous provisions that you care very much for your future Mrs to be.
You could tell her that you want to provide for her but that you have to be careful.I appreciate that this doesn't go down too well when proposing.
Good Luck
I would be grateful if kindly you could rate my answer.